9303753286127016 An ac source of angular frequency ω is fed across a resistor R and a capacitor C in series. The current registered is I . If now the frequency of the source is changed to ω/3 (but maintaining the same voltage), the current in the circuit is found to be halved. The ratio of the reactance to resistance at the original frequency ω is given as √ x/5 . Find x .

An ac source of angular frequency ω is fed across a resistor R and a capacitor C in series. The current registered is I . If now the frequency of the source is changed to ω/3 (but maintaining the same voltage), the current in the circuit is found to be halved. The ratio of the reactance to resistance at the original frequency ω is given as √ x/5 . Find x .

 The root-mean-square current Irms in the RC circuit is given by

Irms = Vrms/√R2 +X2C…… (1)

Here, Vrms is the root-mean-square voltage, R is the resistance and XC is the capacitive reactance.

The capacitive reactance XC is given by XC = 1/ωC …… (2)

Here, ω is the angular frequency and C is the capacitance.

We have given that the initial angular frequency of the source is ω and the current is I .

Substitute I for Irms and 1/ωC for XCin equation (1).

I = Vrms√R2+(1ω/C)2

⇒ I = Vrms/√R2+1ω2C2

⇒ I = VrmsωC/√R2ω2C2+1 …… (3)

When the angular frequency of the source is changed to ω/3 then the current becomes I/2 but the potential is the same.

Hence, the above equation becomes

⇒ I/2 = Vrmsω/3C/√R2(ω/3)2C2+1

⇒ I/2 = VrmsωC/√R2ω2C+ 9 …… (4)

Divide equation (3) by equation (4). ⇒

I/I/2 = VrmsωC/√R2ω2C+ 1/VrmsωC/√R2ω2C+ 9

⇒2 = √R2ω2C+ 9 / √R2ω2C+ 1

Take square on both sides of the above equation.

⇒ 4=R2ω2C2+9 / R2ω2C+ 1

⇒ 4R2ω2C2+4 = R2ω2C2+9

⇒ 4R2ω2C2−R2ω2C2=9−4 ⇒3R2ω2C2=5

⇒ R2ω2C= 5/3

⇒ R2=5/3 1/ω2C2

Take square root on both sides of the above equation.

⇒R =√5/3 1/ωC

Substitute XC for 1/ωC in the above equation.

XC/R = √3/5

Balkishan Agrawal

At the helm of GMS Learning is Principal Balkishan Agrawal, a dedicated and experienced educationist. Under his able guidance, our school has flourished academically and has achieved remarkable milestones in various fields. Principal Agrawal’s vision for the school is centered on providing a nurturing environment where every student can thrive, learn, and grow.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post